Detoxification : Great looking body and flawless skin technique!
Heavy nights of partying: attending weddings, bachelors, birthdays or even baby showers can get your liver exhausted with the excessive alcohol followed by erratic eating. Cravings can be difficult to bypass during the hangover phases. We look to tap into our soul foods to make our body feel good. It is easy to lose track of your diet, especially if you have been loyal to it. Following fad diets can make your system go off-balance and into a state of limbo. This can cause psychological pain when you look at yourself in the mirror and one can even take a hiatus from being their best selves - mentally. How does one get out of this state without doing too much harm to their minds?
In the colloquial lingo we classify this transformation back to the state of mindful eating as detoxification or detox. However, detox has gotten a bad name due to a simple fact that there have been several companies that have publicized and marketed liquid diets and suggested to refrain from consuming whole food. This, however, is counterproductive. This article explores the manner of using a detoxification diet so that you can party hard the next time and fall back to this when you feel you are off-track.
What is detoxification?
The liver is an essential part of our body because it purifies the blood from the toxins that can be added due to either the food or fluids we consume. The liver distributes vitamins to the rest of the body and hence it is critical to consume substances that will not only help your liver function smoothly, but make it thrive. Detoxification is the process of following a diet by which our blood is purified and toxins, harmful for the body, are cleansed away.
Why do you need to do a detoxification diet?
There are many signs that we can observe to understand the different changes in our body. These are signs that we are not giving our body good nutrition. For example, if we feel sluggish and tired through our day in-spite of sleeping well, this would mean that there are many toxins floating around in our system. Allergies, mental disruption and bloating are some of the additional effects that can be triggered due to poor maintenance of our body.
What common foods cause toxins in our body?
There are several things which we consume daily that can be harmful for our body in the long term. Some of these include alcohol (including wine), coffee, smoking (including vapes, juul, hookah/shisha etc.), sugars (processed or refined), saturated fats. Eating out more than 2 times a week is a common practice which hinders body recovery as well. Microwaving your food or consuming foods with heavy preservatives content can be detrimental as well.
How do you start a detoxification diet?
A detoxification diet is a quite simple yet elegant solution. This can be even carried out in the long-term basis for glorious results. Although a lot of companies recommend going on a liquid detox, it is not very practical for a long-term solution. It does give you quicker results as you are eliminating several chemicals from your body. However, it does not give you good macro ingredients to push through your workouts or even strenuous work life. Below are some tips and tricks that we have seen professionals and other experts use to purify their body and rid the toxins.
- Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate! Your body requires enough liquids to remove and purify the toxins. You should consume a minimum of 3 liters of water for women and 4 liters of water for men in order to flush out the toxins. Remember that mixing water with substances that are diuretic can mean that you may have to consume more water than recommended above. Green tea is one such example.
- Make sure that you consume a chunk of your water during the first half of your day rather than the later. It is much easier to cleanse toxins when your body is digesting actively rather than when you are asleep.
- A trip to the sauna is a game changer. Do this not only when wanting to detox but also when you want to get your mind away from stressful events happening in your life. It is a great mood booster and excellent for skin health and rejuvenation.
- Practice mediation to allow more oxygen flow into your body.
- Before heading to bed use a hydrotherapy technique that will help rejuvenate your skin and health. Before you go to sleep, take a hot shower for 3 minutes followed by a cold shower for 30 seconds. Repeat this twice and end with a hot shower for 30 seconds. This not only gives you fantastic sleep but will allow your skin to recover and sweat out the toxins.
- Consumption of organic fruits and vegetables is a must if you want to purify your body. Be aware of what is being added to your fruits and especially your vegetables. Ask your grocery store if the products are organic and non-GMO. A lot of the vegetables contain pesticides and bacteria that can harm instead of doing any good to your body. Vegetables like beetroot, cabbage, broccoli, romanesco, kale, spinach, arugula and others help to start the purification process. Fruits such as peaches, nectarines, berries and watermelon are quite good at providing antioxidants that help your body to recover.
- Although you will get plenty of fibre from your vegetables and fruits, adding brown or black rice will do wonders to your diet. Quinoa with brown rice mix can be used as well.
- Avocado and healthy cooking oils can be a great catalyst to get the right fats into your system to get you back on track immediately.
- Almond butters and nuts can be a great help to satiate your cravings during the low periods of your detox where you crave something out of the ordinary.
While detox lifestyle and diet help in optimizing your body’s natural detoxification system, there is no actual scientific study to prove that it eliminates toxins or chemicals from your body. However, the effects of detox towards mental and physical health are quite significant including feeling more active, healthy and refreshed. The normal human overexerts their body by indulging in the metaphorical fruits of society and we do not focus at all on healing our bodies. We need to take time out of our busy schedules in order to give time to ourselves. Having no time in our lives is like the saying that you do not have time to fill up petrol in your car because you are late for a meeting. You cannot head to the meeting without your petrol so why not have a stop once in a while so that you do not have to tow your car in the highway of life.